With more outfit changes than Beyoncé, I give to you my OppiKoppi experience.
I don’t get no Coachella or Glastonbury, so I got my festival chic on for my first OppiKoppi out in the dusty reserves of Limpopo.
Running water, clean toilets, plenty of stages, sick line-up (with acts all starting as per the schedule), veggie food galore, crazy crowd goers, old varsity friends and beautiful weather is how I would sum it up. I didn’t take my camera so all I have are a few iPhone pics of me trying to look inconspicuous whilst posing in a dust bowl. Not very rock ‘n roll, this blogging.
OppiKoppi Highlight Reel:
1. The 14 hour train ride from Durbs to Jozi. I don’t think I’ve partied like that on public transport before.
2. The moment when Steve hopped up on stage at the Bos tent for the most epic impromptu drumming.
3. HHP was seriously one of my favourite acts the whole fest. The 6 of us stood on the hillside dancing like loons on loon tablets for the full set.
4. The arts and crafts section where we made togas. Those togas were legit for about 35 minutes until we succumbed to heat and dust and torn them off.
5. Finding out the trippy waffle guy wasn’t just super trippy. He was snaffling drogas ilegales on the sidelines. The next day, there was just a vacant spot where his trippy waffle caravan once was. We all wondered why he’d decided to make his vanilla icecream, trippy green.
6. Spotting two snakes whose cobra cove was conveniently situated at the opening of our camp. They turned out to be pretty cool neighbours for the full 4 days, making guest appearances every so often.
7. Finding the one lone grassy patch, along a sidewalk and just napping there without a care in the world. We must have looked like 6 drunkards who peaked way too early. Meanwhile we were just zen with nature and woke up to do a yoga pose or two. Namaste, bitches.
8. While I am very disappointed with the fact that the sound was so shoddy for Cat Power, the shade that was being thrown at the sweating sound guy was quite entertaining.
9. The fact that the moon was so bright, that we all cast night shadows. Night shadows man, night shadows.
10. Wolfmother, Nomadic Orchestra, Grassy Sparks, The Muffinz, Spoek Mathambo, Hugh Masekela, HHP, Black Math.
11. Six of us, dirty and stanking, sleeping like the dead on the flight home, after dropping off the filthiest rental car you ever did see.
Cheers Oppi, see you next year.